Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Feeling Like a Freak on a Leash!


This week it seems that Jefferson has been listening to too much of the alternative metal band, Korn…he’s been “feeling like a freak on a leash.”  (Here's the link to the band's official video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGrNDV2mKc&ob=av3e)  After our run-throughs on Sunday (he ran a great Steeplechase course!), he scurried from me and the leash!  He has not done this erratic ring behavior since last winter and I was confused and frustrated.  It was so upsetting and in my mind, pretty much negated his good-looking Steeplechase run.

My first reaction to his scampering about the field was to yell and scream at him - allowing my frustrations to build.  The questions that went through my mind as I tried to snatch him:  “What is going on?”   “Oh, no - I thought we were past this!”  “What am I going to do now?”  “My dog is crazy!”  Unfortunately, this did happen and nothing good came from my response.  Finally, I caught him and placed the leash around his neck.  We left in short-order and on the drive home I reflected upon our day and searched for a solution.

First of all, Jefferson, being such a sensitive soul, is attune to my every mood and does not forget anything…and I do mean anything!  Last month, we practiced a Pairs baton exchange with another dog and handler.  For the first time, Jefferson decided to gallop around the field after the exchange while the other dog was running his side of the course.  I got upset and panicked because I did not want the dogs to run into each other and have a possible altercation.  Instead of being calm, I over reacted and yelled in my finest, high-pitched voice for him to come to me and quit his shenanigans.  I finally caught him and got the leash back around his neck.  But, alas it was too late – I had created a sense of stress and panic for my sensitive pup that he now associates with the end of the run and getting his leash back around his neck.  Identifying the cause is half the battle so I can begin to control my behaviors and reactions when situations do not go as planned.

The good news is that I possess the training tools to work past this behavior and shape the desired outcome.  I immediately went home and began using the clicker to develop Jefferson’s having a positive association with his leash being taken on and off.    I was encouraged that the clicker training was immediately successful in gaining a positive response!  We still have a ways to go before the next trial, but I am confident that we are on the right training path.

Once again, participating in dog agility has a lesson for me to learn.  It is best to keep a calm attitude and avoid yelling and screaming when the circumstances on the agility field and in life do not go as planned.  Chin-up and identify the cause for the mishap: succeed in finding a solution because there is always another day and another trial….. 





"Dogs are our bridge - our connection to who we really are, and most tellingly, who we want to be."
-Patricia B. McConnell, For the Love of a Dog:  Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend





No comments:

Post a Comment