Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Let's Shake on It!


Today’s blog is a hodgepodge of my recent agility revelations.  First of all, I am addicted to using the clicker to train Jefferson.  Training tricks is a blast and Jefferson really enjoys working for me and the “click.”  Recently, I taught him how to “shake” and it took all of 5 minutes.  My boy is such a superstar!  I am excited to build our “trick” repertoire and to continue expanding our working relationship.  He responds so well to the clicker and offers behavior just to hear the "click" and get some cheese.  Clicker training is surely da' bomb diggity!

My next revelation is about making small but powerful handling refinements.  I am currently taking an Intro to Handling 2 class with an extremely observant instructor who has the natural ability to identify my handling errors and advise me on how to better communicate with J-dawg.  Although I have only been in the class two weeks, I have learned many great tips.  For example, whenever I set up Jefferson for a running start, I need to angle him more effectively – pretty much parallel – to the first jump, so that we are running together to turn so he doesn’t pull off the 2nd obstacle to follow me whenever I have to “run” around the wing.  This was great advice because he had done this at the last trial.  Now that I know how to better set-up our start:  problem solved!   

Also, whenever we are taking a pinwheel set of jumps, Jefferson has been pulling out of the 2nd jump. 


The instructor suggested that I square my shoulders to the 2nd jump and not rotate as quickly to get him around the sequence.  Eureka!  This worked.  Yet another handling error solved from our last trial.  These subtle, simple corrections in my handling communicate clearly to Jefferson about what he is supposed to do. I am so energized to learn how to be a proactive handler rather than a reactive one.  I have built my confidence in handling Jefferson and us working together as a team.  

My final agility revelation for the week is to celebrate how far we have come since our very first trial.  I was nervous and Jefferson was thrilled to be off leash and run crazily around the ring!  He was also very hungry and happy to leave the ring to try to grab a burger from a spectator who was sitting a little too close to comfort by the fence.   Also, my dad was my first agility videographer and had no clue how to operate the camera.  His skills add to the whole "agility debut" effect.  This video is priceless and still my favorite.  Enjoy!!





Happy training everyone!!



"It's all to do with the training: you can do a lot if you're properly trained."
- Elizabeth II


 

1 comment:

  1. I love that video, Erin! No matter what they do in class and practice, you just never can really be sure what'll happen in a trial!!

    ReplyDelete