Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Stand! Darn that R.E.M. Song Anyways...

Last weekend we entered a three day trial.  Since I am still trying to establish a routine and determine what works best for us, I entered 4 events on day one; one event on day two; and 4 events on day three.  My thought was that we would both use the day off -in the middle to re-group and rest.  This proved to make no difference whatsoever because our best run was the last one of the weekend!

During our first run, Gamblers, (yeah...the event we have been trying to get a 3rd “Q” in for about a year now…) Jefferson took a few obstacles but shut down on the field and stood there looking at me (this seems to be the theme of the weekend!) when I failed to give him clear direction.  Unlike other times, I decided to go for the gamble – 4 jumps – and Jefferson got it!  It was a beautiful gamble by the way ;-)  We earned a 2nd place - only because we got the gamble but not enough points in the opening.   Darn, that R.E.M. song anyways…

The rest of our runs resulted in “E”limination…Pairs, Standard and Jumpers.  For some reason, he wanted NOTHING to do with going into a tunnel.  And weave poles…fuggedaboutit…Ugh.

On the 2nd day, we only entered Gamblers so I had high hopes for nailing that 3rd “Q.”  Guess the agility gods would not have it – because we once again did not earn enough points in the opening due to my not giving Jefferson an early cue while on the A-Frame to take the jump to his right.  So, at the bottom of the A-frame he stood and looked at me yet again.  Poor pup – he looked at me with those big brown eyes that say, “What in the heck do you want me to do now!?”  Once I got him going, I decided to try the gamble - tunnel, jump, jump and jump…and my boy had a beautiful gamble!  We earned first place but no “Q!”  Obviously, the gamble is not our problem; rather, it’s my giving clear cues to Jefferson so he won’t get “offended” by my handling and keep on moving!   Darn, that R.E.M. song anyways….


So, on our 3rd day of the trial, we had entered 4 events – Jumpers, Snooker, Standard and Pairs.  Due to a deluge of rainfall on the previous day, the start of the trial was delayed until 10:30 a.m. (that is really late in dog agility time!) so the last classes from Saturday could run followed by Sunday’s events.  Because of this, we had quite a bit of down time – Jefferson didn’t run Jumpers until around 1 pm. He was fast on the first 3 jumps but when I did not cue him properly to take the 4th jump and he skipped right to the 5th jump, once again, he was “offended” by my handling and stood and looked at me.  Wow…runs like this make me almost long for the “zoomies” – well, almost….Darn, that R.E.M. song anyways…

I had what I thought was a great plan for Snooker…6’s and 7’s in the opening…we actually got our the first 1-6 combo…but when I cued him to take different direction then he expected, once again…he was standing and looking quizzically at me…FINALLY, got him moving and we took the 1-7 combo before the buzzer went off.  Amazingly, we got 1st place but I was left distraught over Jefferson’s shutting down.  Darn, that R.E.M. song anyways…

Our Standard run was pretty much the same when I miscued him at the beginning so he missed the 3rd obstacle – teeter – I tried to get him back, but he shut down.  However, I did get him to run fast over the A-Frame to the table for a down (he loves the table now because he gets treats!)  So, I made up my own exit strategy – tunnel to dogwalk and man oh man, did he pick up steam!  Yes, another “E” but at least he had beautiful running contacts all weekend.

Finally, Advanced Pairs would be our last event of the weekend.  Thank goodness because I was getting tired from all of this “standing” around!  We ran the 2nd half of the pairs course – jumps 1 and 2 to an awkward entrance to the weave poles but I thought that looked like a great side for Jefferson.  While our partner was running the 1st half, Jefferson was chomping at the bit to take off.  In fact, during the baton exchange, I could barely hold him back from running the course!!  He wasn’t set-up correctly at the start, but it did not matter because he took those first 2 jumps like a madman and I knew we would have a great run!  He nailed his weave pole entrance, but somehow missed a pole around 3 or so but I did not want to squash his excitement to go back and make the correction.  He was excited to run and so was I!  No turning back for Team J-Dawg.  We finished beautifully and it was the BEST run of the weekend!  Who knew I would be so thrilled with an “E?!!”


I learned a lot about myself from this weekend’s trial.  First, I need to not be so consumed with earning a “Q” in our runs.  Running a course is NOT about the “Q” but about the connection you make with your doggie partner.  Jefferson and I connected and ran like crazy on our last run in Advanced Pairs!  We both had a blast and came together as a team.   We earned an “E” but had the best time of the weekend!!  Secondly, I need to “run my own race” and quit comparing myself and Jefferson to all the other doggies and handlers.   Whenever I start to compare myself to others and start to feel inadequate, I get more nervous and then run the course with less confidence.  Jefferson senses this (even through my minty fresh breath!) and stresses-down during the run.  We will get there, but this is our journey alone and we must take it together.  Lastly, I need to work on my self-confidence in handling Jefferson and not expect perfection.  Yes, I am going to make mistakes but that is how I will learn to be a better handler and partner to my teammate.  My partner is depending on me to not get caught up in the “Q’s” and the “E’s” and all other human agility drama.  Jefferson just wants to have fun running agility with his momma!!

So, in the immortal words of my favorite, dearly-departed Monkee Davy Jones…"I’m a Believer" that with a little patience, determination and training, Team J-Dawg  continues to persevere! 




"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."  - John Quincy Adams


1 comment:

  1. Your Advanced Pairs run was beautiful! Awesome, awesome job! Beautiful weave entry.

    Don't get discouraged--Jefferson loves you no matter what. Success doesn't need to be measured in ribbons and Qs!


    PS: Can you please have Randy videotape more of your runs? He had me laughing at his comments the whole time.

    ReplyDelete