Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Ultimate "Proofing" Exercise for the Weave Poles


With one week remaining before traveling to the Carolina Piedmont Agility trial in Raleigh, North Carolina, we have been practicing the weave poles, dogwalk and table.  We have made great strides and I continue to be pleased with Jefferson’s weave pole performance, especially his driving to them and my ability to work from a great distance while he completes this obstacle.  I am feeling confident and positive about our 3rd agility “road trip” next week!

In quite an unexpected agility "proofing" exercise, we had a run-in with a copperhead snake after Tuesday night’s class.  I decided to go to the darker, back field to practice our weave pole entries and work “around the clock” with a jump that was already set-up.  Ironically, I threw his new toy into the edge of the woods and thought to myself, “Wonder if there are snakes in there…yuck!”  In a hurry to get the toy, I called for Jefferson and he quickly found the toy and ran out of the weeds and back into the lighted portion of the field.  “Whew…I am glad that he got that toy out so fast!  No snakes!”   

So, we went back to practice driving to the weaves and wow, was he nailing those weave entries!  YAY!!  Needless to say, I was feeling pretty good about my boy – when suddenly, while he was finishing his weaves (about pole 9 or 10) he raised his back legs up and his front legs were still on the ground.  He does "hop" in the weaves....but, what in the world was up with that move!?  He did not yelp but just keep on going to complete his weave poles.  And that is when I saw it…a scary, slimy brownish speckled snake slithering across the base of the weave poles!!! YIKES!!! It was scary…but I got Jefferson to come to me, leashed him up, and went over to peak at the snake to get a description of its markings.  I called for another agility friend to come over and help me check out the snake.  He came over and we watched in slither back into the woods….but, we did get a good look at it and confirmed with a few others that this in fact was a copperhead snake.  Poisonous.  I was scared but pretty certain that Jefferson had avoided the snake.  So, I made sure that Jefferson had not been bitten and was doing fine before I left the field to come home.  

Here is a link that has some great information about snake bites and dogs:  http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_dg_snake_bites_and_dogs#.T-vQ6vWRGxM

This sure was a wake-up call for me to be more observant of my surroundings while training Jefferson.  I was lucky that J-Dawg avoided the snake and wanted nothing to do with it.  It is a good thing that he is so athletic and able to perform an improvisational "handstand" while completing his weave poles.  Another type of dog may have barked at the snake, tried to chase it, and would have resulted in getting bit.  I also have learned how to identify poisonous snakes, what to do if my dog gets bit, where the emergency vet clinics are located and which ones carry anti-venom.  Above all, I have learned to remain calm in order to keep my sweet cocker spaniel safe from all those nasty critters out there.  Eww….yuck!!!




"Look before you leap, for snakes among sweet flowers do creep."
~Proverb quotes














1 comment: