Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

We've Climbed Aboard the Dream Weaver Train!

This summer is chocked full of agility projects – the first one getting Jefferson’s weave pole performance back on track and  back on the dream weaver train!  Since I have been preoccupied with Jefferson’s motivation issues, I have neglected to continue training the weave poles, the table and running contacts.  As a result, his performances on these obstacles has been lack luster.  We had a really nice run through during last Thursday’s class, but he wanted nothing to do with going “down” on the table nor going fast through the weave poles.  He did “get” these obstacles, but his performance was not up to par.  He is definitely capable of faster weave poles.  Interestingly, Jefferson has very good weave pole entries and seems to take them faster and more confidently whenever I send him to the weaves and stay behind him as we run.  He performs them “better” whenever I am not breathing down his neck applying pressure while he runs through the poles.  Even my class instructor noticed this and recommended I send him to the weaves and work on using a baited toy during our practices so I can get him driving faster through the poles.

And so began my search for an appropriate baited toy to use for my weave pole and running contact training.  Luckily, I found a great "rip and tug" toy at a local pet boutique (and yes, I paid "boutique" prices$$$)  Here is what the new toy looks like: 


It really works well - the toy is part tug, part ball and part hidden treat dispenser.  I hide a treat inside the Velcro ball center (it comes apart) and then entice Jefferson to play a game of tug.  Of course he loves it...there is food inside and he IS a Cocker Spaniel.   Once he is really excited, I send him through the weaves; and I give the toy a toss and he runs through the last weaves and over the jump to retrieve his new toy.  It especially works well when stuffed with liverwurst (yuck!!)  I am very excited that Jefferson is driving enthusiastically through the weave poles from different angled entrances when I began working "from around the clock."  So, I plan to progress through the weave pole proofing exercises that I found online and in the Clean Run archives.  By the end of practice on Monday, he was offering the weave poles both enthusiastically and fast.  Yay!  Looks like we have climbed aboard the dream weaver train...





Next up...training the running contact on the dogwalk....

  

"Enthusiasm is everything. It must be taut and vibrating like a guitar string. " ~Pele'





 


2 comments:

  1. That is a cool toy--and that's great that you're already seeing improvement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great toy! But, we had a MAJOR set-back at class last night. After a couple hours at the beach, Jefferson had diarrhea (lots!) during class and wouldn't take any obstacles, let alone the weave poles. Swimming at the beach for a couple of hours and agility do NOT mix;-)

      Delete