Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Gettin' Ready for a Trial!

This evening I received the running order for next weekend's trial.  I am so excited about running Jefferson and looking forward to meeting new training goals for this agility "season."

We attended run-thrus on Sunday and had another successful weekend.  I have identified a few more points needed for additional training.  First off, the running dogwalk definitely deserves more of my training time.  In particular, learning how to better handle the obstacles at the end of the dogwalk.  For example, this weekend's Standard course (all three levels) had a 90 degree entry to the weave poles upon the completion of the dogwalk.  We did get our down contact, but had trouble getting the entry since it was not straight in front of the dogwalk and required  a sharp right turn.  So, I have read Sylvia Turkman's training tips for how to handle obstacles at the end of the dogwalk and have a training strategy to implement as soon as I can get the extra time.  Luckily, I have trained Jefferson verbal directionals so this would be a great time for me to use them.  For some reason, I only seem to use directionals when approaching jumps or tunnels - they work for contacts too so I need to remember that while running a course.  Overall, I am pleased with Jefferson's increased speed; he seems really enthusiastic and happy to be running agility (even without treats on the field!)  I have also determined that I need desperately to get a back in shape with my own running.  With the added stress of work, I have neglected my own physical fitness and can no longer continue down this path if I want to be able to "keep up" with Jefferson and have any hope of completing a front cross!! 





So, for next weekend's trial, I am going to be realistic that I will not have had time to learn how to better handle the turns at the end of a running dogwalk.  Instead, I am going to do my best, have fun and party like a rock star at the end of our runs!   Go team J-Dawg!!





"There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There's not such things as life in-between."   ~Pat Riley













1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that Jefferson is enjoying himself--good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete