Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The "Trials" of "Trials"



Momma wants me to get extra sleep before this weekend's trial!
Well, we have almost made it!  In a few days, we will be participating in our first trial since July and I am really excited (and not nearly as nervous as I have been before past trials).  This week makes me ponder why the agility competitions are called “trials” as opposed to “meets” or even “competition.”   But, in reality, “trial” is an appropriate term because agility “trials” can be, well….”trying!”   First off, the handler is concerned about how ready you and your dog are going to be to meet the challenges the judge has set forth in his or her course design.  Will there be a threadle or a serpentine in the Steeplechase or Grand Prix?  Will Jefferson be able to read my rear cross like he did during last weekend’s run-thrus?   Will he successfully complete his weave poles or act like he has never seen them before?   

Secondly, the heat of the weekend is enough of a “trial” for a heat-aversive Cocker Spaniel (and handler, too!).  Local meteorologists predict temperatures to top off in the mid to upper 80s.  This is a bit of a concern, especially since we are running 4 and 5 times each day.  It has been a real struggle to keep Jefferson motivated in the heat and humidity, so I am prepared to keep him cool by bringing our fan, keeping him in the shade, cooling his belly frequently and especially before he runs, rubbing an ice cube under his arms. 
As for me, I am going to drink lots of Gatorade – I may even try rubbing an ice cube under my arms too!


Also, another “trial” is wondering how will Team J-Dawg deal with the stress of the environment, including all the humans and doggies.  By this, I mean all the other handlers canoodling about, talking and analyzing “how to best run” the course.  Asking questions like, “What is your Snooker plan?  How are you going to get the Gamble?  Did you ‘Q’?”  And my personal favorite after a not so good run, “What happened?  He did so well in practice…”   (Yeah, believe me…I know!)  Handlers can ask all the questions they like to each other; but ultimately, the only person who knows how to run your dog is you!  So, if and when I do not have a clean run, it is up to me to determine how to improve my handling to better communicate with Jefferson.  It sounds so easy; but yet, it is so very complex.  This is what keeps agility challenging, exciting, interesting and F-U-N! 

And, once you have gotten it…I mean, finally conquered the “trials” of the “trial,” it is a great time to be had by humans and doggies alike.  Let the games begin!!!


"A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials."
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca










1 comment:

  1. Go Jefferson and Erin! There can be no bad outcome if our 4-legged partners have and want to come back for more. I am worried about the heat, too. So, having fun to come back for more might just mean stopping early if it gets too hot.

    ReplyDelete