Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Learning to Stop the Snowball Effect



Jefferson multi-tasking:  playing with 2 balls at once!

What a week this has been!  Whew…I am mentally exhausted and cannot wait until school is out for Thanksgiving break.   (That is a topic for entirely different blog that I have no desire to write!)  Team J-Dawg attended an 8 hour seminar with Stuart Mah on Sunday – and without a doubt, THAT has been the highlight of my week.

This is the second seminar we have attended with Stuart Mah, in addition to private lessons we have had with him over the past few years.  Stuart has been a GREAT mentor and I sure wish he lived closer so he could see more of us.  He has such a positive zen energy.

First off, Stuart had our seminar teams run ultra courses - not to be mistaken with a Michelob Ultra.   

The first ultra course consisted of 24 obstacles; and the second ultra consisted of 26 obstacles.  Since the most obstacles you encounter during a Masters course would be 20, training you and your dog to run 24 – 26 then makes the trial easier.  I really am sold on this concept – train hard and with high intensity so that the trial then becomes easier for you and your dog.  Also, Stuart set-up difficult sequences in the courses so that the teams would make mistakes.  In fact, mistakes were encouraged because that is how you and your team learn.
 
The learning for us happened whenever Jefferson took an off-course due to my handling mistakes.  Rather than stop and think about it and analyze the situation (we humans tend to do WAY too much of that), Stuart wanted us to react quickly and have another handling option.  He shared with us the handling errors that he has made (yes, Stuart makes mistakes!) and that he then has to react quickly and use another handling technique to get through the course.  He reminded us that the doggies do not know what comes next on the course and are depending on us to tell them.   It is imperative that handlers do not let the doggies even know there was a “mistake” but to keep on going.
 
His point really hit home for Team J-Dawg because we have had many of these such moments.   Stuart suggested that when an off-course is made, do NOT give up or give in to make more handling errors.  He warned us to not let one error turn into six.  Accept the one error, and have the positive mindset that you and your doggie will run clean the rest of the way.  Do not let the one error “snow ball” into multiple errors – gain control and direct your dog to finish the course.   I love it!  This is also true about the obstacles we face off the dog agility course...


Another great tip he gave me was to practice with high energy and a purpose.  If I practice this way, then this becomes a habit that I will take with me to a trial.  I have already been working on keeping my energy level high, and boy, is it difficult!  Practice has been wearing me out because I am consciously making the effort to be enthusiastic and play the game with Jefferson.  Heck, if I cannot be in the game, how can I expect my dog to want to play with me?!    So far, we have had positive results and it has been more fun for both of us.


Sunday was a great day.  We learned so much and had to do quite a bit of thinking with Stuart (since he is notorious for not numbering obstacle sequences).  Team J-Dawg worked hard:  running from 8:30 a.m. until after 5 p.m.  Jefferson did not shut down and only had a couple glitches when he was hot (it was 80 degrees) and during our last exercise because he was tired.  What a good boy!  Stuart even commented to me about how much better Jefferson was doing and getting some tough sequences.  Yay!  



I am so proud of Team J-Dawg!  


Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they’ve got a second.
- William James

 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome, Erin! Glad to hear that Jefferson did so well even though it was hot (hard to imagine--it's 30 here!)

    I know some people who do better once they make a mistake, they say it takes all the pressure off to "be perfect" and then they are just running for fun.

    ReplyDelete