Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ready to Play Agility


I'm ready to play!

This past week has been wonderful – one full week off school for Thanksgiving break.  Gotta love it!!  It was especially nice to have the extra days to recover from the last cold and rainy agility trial.  But, all good things must come to an end, so I went back to school on Monday and am counting down the days (17….) until Christmas break.  

So, with time to devote to training being of short supply, I have focused on a few training goals before this weekend’s trial.  Since Jefferson did not have a “down” during our beautiful Standard run two weeks ago, I wanted to troubleshoot the table.  I have proofed the table – practicing Saturday, Monday and this evening.  Jefferson is going to an immediate and quick “down” on the table, so I am confident that he understands the criteria.  But, with all the excitement of a trial, it is difficult for him to exhibit impulse control especially if he is running "full steam ahead" from the prior obstacle.  I am not expecting miracles and we need to put in more work on reinforcing the immediate “down” for his table performance.  

Yep!  I can go to a fast down!

Another training goal I have from the last trial is to work on front crosses and gaining more lateral distance from Jefferson when he commits to a jump.  This way, I am better able to get ahead of him on the course to give him more information about where he is going.  I set up a few three and four jump drills to work on my getting lateral motion while he makes his commitment to the jumps.  We also continued to practice the very basic front cross moves with one and two jumps.  These types of training drills may not be very “sexy,” but this has helped me to better communicate with Jefferson when we are running a course.  Additionally, I still work to maintain his weave poles and running dogwalk and A-frame, but my main focus has been on better communicating to Jefferson.

I wish she'd give me the cheese already....

This week’s blog is fairly short – as I have been busy with school, decorating for Christmas and goofing around with my new Samsung Galaxy SIII phone (my first droid after giving up a four- year-old, outdated Blackberry).  I can truly say that this phone is da’ bomb and now I feel like one of the cool kids! 
Looking forward to taking pictures and video-taping my agility runs during this weekend’s trial.  My goals for this trial:  start together, finish together and have fun (all being documented on my new phone!)   



Did I say how much I love this phone!??!!


Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clark


1 comment: