Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Just Breathe...






Have I shared lately how much FUN I am having participating in agility?  Today was a long and difficult day at school – grading finals, inputting grades, preparing for the new semester, meeting after school for 2 hours (YES…2 hours the day BEFORE we are off school until next week!).  And that is just my school responsibilities.  In addition to all this, I am the trial secretary for the trial this weekend.  It is my first time as trial secretary, so I have been taking care of entries, running orders, gate sheets, scribe sheets, and a whole litany of other dog “sheets” I have never seen before but have learned how to create!  Needless to say, I have been VERY busy.

Despite all these stressors (both good and bad), I am really looking forward to going to agility class tonight to have FUN with Jefferson.   At first I was not going to go, but after such a rough start to the week at school, I want to kick-back, relax and enjoy my dog.  It has taken me a bit of practice and work on my mental game for agility, but now I am at a good place with Team J-Dawg.  I am just amazed at how liberating it is to feel the joy and excitement of agility like I did when I first started training Jefferson.  

How did I change my attitude from dog agility being a stress creator to a stress reliever?  First off, I am focused on the process and not the outcome.  This truly is the key to my change.  Like a Tony Robbins “Breakthrough” moment, I have grown to enjoy the process and actually relish in the fun I am having with Jefferson.   Rather than view a NQ or an off-course as a failure, I have chosen to view these runs as an opportunity to learn how to become a better handler for my teammate.  I have control over my thoughts, so I am choosing to view my runs from a whole new perspective.  So, if I am having FUN, why wouldn’t I want to play the game with my dog?

Also, I have learned to gain a healthy perspective on agility.  Heck, nothing drastic or life-threatening is going to happen to Team J-Dawg if we blow a run.  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing earth shattering occurs!  Does our NQ or missed contact result in the start of an international war?  Increase the national debt?  Raise taxes?  Of course not!  It is merely a sport I enjoy playing with my dog.  Yes, agility is still important to me but it is surely not the end of the world if something goes awry.   Perspective.   I am so lucky to be healthy enough to run with my healthy dog.   He is getting faster so I need to get healthier to keep up with that cocker speed!

Enjoy a little R.E.M. (It's the End of the World As We Know It...And I Feel Fine..)
 


Lastly, as Oprah would say …”Breathe”….




"Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one."
Hans Selye




No comments:

Post a Comment