Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Cocker Spaniel is Smarter Than Your 8th Grader!




This week has flown by and I am getting excited about next weekend’s trial.   We have not practiced too much this week, but I am ever amazed with Jefferson’s antics.  When I took Jefferson for a walk today after work, he was heeling really nice next to me and was focused.   A neighborhood boy was skate boarding on the sidewalk and commented to me, “He is very smart.”  So, I channeled my best Victoria Stillwell (Animal Planet’s “It’s Me or the Dog” trainer) skills and commanded Jefferson to perform his tricks for the 8 year old.  Then the boy grinned and exclaimed, “Wow!  You REALLY are a dog trainer!”  And I was beaming with pride and replied, “Thank you…I am.”

After I continued my walk, I thought about what the boy had said.  I have never considered myself a “dog trainer” but I am one.  From the moment I brought Jefferson home as a 14 week old puppy, I have continually taught him.  We have taken a few puppy classes and obedience classes; he even earned his AKC Canine Good Citizen before he was two years old.  For example, I have him wait patiently before he eats.  He expects this and never “dives right in" to his dinner. This is great impulse control and transfers into the agility ring for a start line stay or a down on a table.  I have taught him to “leave it” so he will not eat a jelly fish at the beach nor chase his kitty sister Madison around the house.  A few more fun parlor tricks include “high five” and spin “left or right.”   He can even fetch his toys by name – tug, ball, and squeaky.  So, I am confident that he is one smart dog.  As long as I take the time to continue to train him, he will continue to learn.

As far as agility goes, we have taken TONS of classes and seminars from local handlers to world team members.  With my instructors help and guidance, I have trained Jefferson to confidently perform the obstacles.  More importantly, I have trained him to trust that my handling is going to give him accurate communication about where to go on course.  We have worked hard to grow together as a team, and our success depends on my ability to be a good dog trainer:  to be consistent and open to try new ways of handling.  So, thank you, neighborhood boy for reminding me that I REALLY am a dog trainer.  




"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." - Corey Ford


 

1 comment:

  1. Definitely, though I guess I don't think of myself that way, either.

    Can you come down here and teach our two to not chase the cat? They know "leave it" when it comes to food, but the cat is irresistible (though he eggs them on)!

    ReplyDelete