Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Back to School Reality Check

And so the week begins...our school's faculty was required to attend a three-day training for all teachers.  I wish I could say it was easy, but it was so difficult waking up prior to 7 a.m., eating breakfast at a pre-dawn hour, and having to actually get dressed in work clothes.  My summer hours have spoiled me, almost making me a tad lazy but rested and ready to tackle another school year and another group of kids!

One of our teacher "homework" assignments was to bring in an item of value to us.  I was torn between my Savannah Half-Marathon medal and my picture of Jefferson and his Gamblers Title ribbon.  But, I chose to share my story about agility because I knew it would be unique and grab people's attention.  

It is always interesting to explain to others the sport of dog agility.  And, yes - it is most definitely a sport.  Regardless, I am glad I chose to talk about our accomplishments with those who know absolutely nothing about agility.  They were impressed that he had earned so many titles (three) and looked liked he was "smiling" as he sailed effortlessly over the jump.  They did not know how long and how much effort those titles took for Team J-Dawg to earn.  They also did not know about our "NQ's" including various meltdowns, zoomies, off-courses, no-courses,and my favorite..."Eliminations" (Yes, Jefferson "crapping" on the field and my saying "crap" on the field!)  

By sharing our victories with non-agility folks, I was reminded that we handlers sometimes place too much pressure on ourselves and our doggies to perform the perfect run.  We should always be proud of our progress, no matter how small it may seem at the time.  Small victories lead to bigger ones down the road.  

Practice patience.  

                      Enjoy the moment.   
                                                       
                                                   Do what it takes.

                                                                    Fake it 'til you make it.

                                                                                                    Persevere.





"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."  ~ William Arthur Ward 






No comments:

Post a Comment