Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Eatin' 3rd Place Ribbons!


Jefferson wants to play so he eats his 3rd place ribbon!
Today was the first day of school for me and my high school students.  It was a great day – the students were engaged, smiling and interacting with each other and we all had fun.  Overall, one of the best “first days” I have had in my 17 years (gasp!) as an educator.   As I reflect about what made it a good day, it all comes back to me and my attitude.  To put things in perspective, I do not have a “classroom” but am a “traveling” teacher with three preps spread throughout the very expansive building.  But, rather than see this as a negative, I chose to make it a positive.  My traveling cart becomes “Queen’s Chariot;” my long walk around the school becomes a chance for much-needed exercise; my lunch duty becomes a chance to interact with more students and learn more about their lives.  It is all about me and my attitude that made the difference in my day and in turn, my students.  

So, I want to carry this attitude of re-framing a “negative” into a “positive” in my agility training with Jefferson.  Much of the skills I use a teacher carryover to my skills I use as a dog trainer.  It’s my attitude about our training session that could either work for the betterment of our team or work toward the detriment.  Whenever I am excited and looking forward to working with Jefferson, he is happy to work for me and ready to learn.  The same goes for my high school students.  But, if I let the “small things” in life get me down, my students and my agility teammate are not willing to work for me.  

Enough already!
I am going to wrap up this little blog for a few reasons:  1. I need to eat dinner and watch "Jeopardy";  and 2. I want to spend time with my poor boy who has spent 12 hours in his crate the past two hectic days.  Chicken is for dinner so I am quite confident that Jefferson will be thrilled for our much-anticipated “Jeopardy” mini training and play session. 





“The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.”

~ Martha Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment