Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

You Deserve a Break Today!


This week we finally got some agility practice in…kinda.  Since we have taken off the latter part of July and most of the month of August due to the heat, I was a bit concerned that maybe Jefferson “forgot” how to “do” agility.  Boy, was I wrong!!  Our club had run-throughs on Sunday and I was worried that we were probably going to be a bit rusty, so I decided to take him out to the field on Saturday evening to try a couple jumping exercises, including weave pole entries.  When I arrived at the field, there was a 14 obstacle course already set-up and I chose to try our luck with this rather than move all the heavy equipment off the field.  It was a nice course – giving me opportunities to practice front and rear crosses; send to the weaves; the dogwalk; and teeter.  

I used our pre-trial routine (changed a bit since last trial…holding him before frantically dropping him for our running start.)  Much to my surprise, that boy was off – and I mean running fast, as the country sayin’ goes “like a bat out of hell!”  I could barely keep up, but he and I ran together – smooth, fast and  most of all – he nailed it!  Clean run.  First try.  Beautiful weaves.  Confident teeter.  Lightning fast dogwalk.  Whew!  I was tired but thrilled that he had not “forgotten” how to “do” agility.  In fact, it was like he missed it and was running with wild and free abandon.  On our next few runs, I did break the course down; working weaves from different angles (got ‘em every time!) and the running dogwalk.  Well, the dogwalk performance started to deteriorate as he got faster; he starting leaping on the downside and not getting his contact.  Looks like the dogwalk is our next obstacle performance training for us to focus on so that he knows what the criteria are….I plan on pulling out the clicker to “fix” his running dogwalk performance.   

On Sunday afternoon, prior to my getting lessons together to teach for my high school students, Team J-Dawg went to run-throughs.  I was glad that the temperatures were not too hot.  Our club set-up a Starters Snooker course from the trial in July.  This was the course that I did not even attempt to earn a “Q;” rather, I just wanted to get Jefferson to happily run with me and stick by my side.  In fact, during the actual trial, we just completed three (3) obstacles.  Here is the map (the pink is the “course” I ran in July and the orange is the course I ran on Sunday):


I was really looking forward trying to run the opening (1-7; 1-7; 1-6; closing) and earning 37 points during our practice.  The first time, he dropped a bar (2nd #1) but we kept on going through the opening - close and he stayed with me, was fast and confident.  On our second run, Jefferson was such a good boy!  He stayed with me; we were connected and ran as a real team.  It was one of our best runs (too bad I didn’t get it on video…)  I was just so proud of my little boy!  He was having so much fun (and me too!!)
 
I believe that our agility-free month was really good for both of us.  It gave me time to not be so focused on being the perfect agility handler and time to spend hanging out with Jefferson.  It gave Jefferson time to enjoy being a “dog” with no performance expectations.  In short, we both needed a break.   And the great news is that Team J-Dawg is back and excited about training with renewed enthusiasm for a successful trialing season.  Now, of course….we must start our homework so I don't have to tell my students that "my dog ate it!"



"Rest when you're weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work."

~Ralph Marston   



No comments:

Post a Comment