Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy HOWL-O-WEEN Handling Tips!



Happy Halloween!

I have been very fortunate to have attended great agility seminars.  This past Sunday was no exception!  Judy Reilly came to Lowcountry Dog Agility Club and held an 8 hour seminar.  She had previously been our judge during a trial last year – the first one that Jefferson started to “shut down” during his runs.

There was a small group of participants – five of us – 4 big doggies (22”) and one small doggie, Jefferson (16”).  Since our seminar group was small, she asked each of us what our specific training objectives were so that we could each progress accordingly.  I was thrilled to work on our start-line stay and incorporating clearer handling cues, such as front crosses when appropriate.  Heck, I even front crossed the teeter!  

Judy set-up short sequences at first to test our handling jump wraps.  We were the smallest team so we went first every time.  I enjoyed going first so I had less time to worry about my handling – and like the old Nike adage:  “Just do it!”  It was easier than I thought to know where and when to front cross. 

I can't believe I'm wearing this hat!
I do not have any course maps or diagrams to share; but, I learned quite a few handling skills from Judy.  First off, I need to cue the front cross when Jefferson has committed to the jump (take-off side – earlier than that in most cases) and NOT turn into him AFTER he has landed (the landing side).  Eureka!  Once I “got” that concept, our front crosses were much cleaner, clearer and crisper.  And, the timing of my cue is key – one split second can make the difference in him knowing what obstacle is next.  Yay!  This was a great tip and I really worked hard to execute my cues efficient and timely.

Another skill I learned was how to cue a tight turn around jumps and when heading to another obstacle such as the weave poles.  In one of our sequences:  A-Frame - angled jump - weave poles, I was giving Jefferson “too much real estate” (I loved that quote from Judy!).  Once I began to cue the turn from the jump to the weaves with my being much closer, my little Cocker Spaniel make some tight turns.  Double yay!  I had not really thought  much about this effecting our runs, but being able to make tight turns can take away seconds from your course time.  I have been so pre-occupied with Jefferson just running with me during a trial.  I was excited to learn the finer points of handling a course so that when I face these challenges in a trial, I will be more confident with my handling.

Oh, brother - I better get some peanut butter for this!
Also, I used the blind cross with Jefferson on a couple of occasions and he responds well to this cue.  Although this was mainly after a tunnel, I do believe that I would be able to blind cross him in a jumping sequence if it was the appropriate handling choice.  We have practiced the blind cross, and I believe Jefferson responds well because I am still moving so he knows to keep on moving himself.   The key is for me to continually M-O-V-E!

Another concept that Judy shared with us was that tunnels, like jumps, are turning obstacles.  Yes, I “knew” that from my reading articles in Clean Run, but when she placed the jump bar on top of the tunnel, I was better able to visualize the tunnel similarly to a jump.  Basically, you handle the tunnel the same way you handle a jump.  Deceleration cues a turn; running straight forward cues extension; crossing behind as the dog enters the tunnel, cues a turn.  Once again, Jefferson picked up on this very easily and read my movement and knew when to turn as he exited the tunnel.  Yes, my boy has some mad skills!! 

Some points for my homework include setting up sequences that include my sending him to independently complete obstacles so I am better able to get down the course and direct him where to go next.  Also, to proof his start line stay as much as possible – at home, on walks, on the field with cheese and his favorite toys scattered about.  I have already started working on these….

Enough already - Get this damn thing off of me!!






I could not be more pleased with how much we learned from the Judy Reilly seminar and how much fun Team J-Dawg had on Sunday!  We are coming together better as a team – it is a slow process, but it sure is truly a joy to train my cute Cocker Spaniel!











"I like the way you work it.  No Diggity!  I got to bag it up."  
~Dr. Dre 




No comments:

Post a Comment