Meet Jefferson

Meet Jefferson
This is Jefferson: Agility Dog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Unmet Expectations

I am still feeling drained emotionally and physically after last weekend's trial.  Unfortunately, Team J-Dawg did not perform as well as I would have hoped.  I had such "high hopes" and expectations for a successful weekend.  Once again, I got caught up in "Qualifying" and comparing my dog to other dogs' performances.  Even comparing Jefferson's performance at a trial to Jefferson during classes and practices is a weighty matter.

I have analyzed our runs and noticed Jefferson's lack of working with me and our inability to come together as a team.  I had plenty of unsolicited advice about how to run him, what to do and how to be a better handler.  After three days of hearing plenty from others and replaying the negativity over in my own head, it became especially difficult for me to find the "fun" in agility.  It is easy to have "fun" when you are "winning" but not so much, when you are not part of the "Qualifying" group of agility teams.  I am happy for all those that had great runs - truly I am - I  just would like to be able to celebrate with them and not just for them.  So, I began to doubt if I should even continue in the sport if I am not having "fun."  Plus, it costs a lot of money to have your doggie not run with you to complete a course.

Bringing back the "fun" to our runs!




But, alas, after I did some soul-searching, in agility and in all other aspects of my life.  I read this article about success and it spoke to me:  http://www.positivelypositive.com/2012/02/07/principles-of-success/       
I determined that I needed to reassess and change my plan:  as Dr. Phil says, "The definition of insanity is to continue doing the same things and expecting different results."  I began to ask myself questions about how I can work on being a better "me" and a better handler and teammate for Jefferson.  What else can I try?  Jefferson and I are not quitters!!  First off, on the last day of trialing, I went into the ring with no expectations for "Qualifying" but only to start and finish our courses together.  I channeled my inner Stuart Mah voice and ran with Jefferson no matter what happened and made up my own courses.  He did not shut down but kept running with  me once I got rid of  my need to be "perfect" and run for a "Qualifying" round.  It was hot by the afternoon, so I knew that I had my work cut out for me!   I changed my attitude and re-directed my negative thoughts and self-doubt.  I had a plan to run the course as the judge had designed and if the need arose, I had a plan to run the course of Jefferson's design.  Either way - we would be successful. 

Next up in my training plan:  I need to develop my "Mental Game" of agility (and life!) and continue to learn to live in the moment and not have such high expectations.  I just want to bring out the best in Jefferson and me during a trial.  It just sucks that it is taking so long for me to figure out how to do that....








“I am open to the guidance of synchronicity, and do not let expectations hinder my path.”
~Dalai Lama 



 

2 comments:

  1. Just keeo going for those uncounted "cue" points...for cuteness! You and J-Dawg have loads of those cues!! Not that it makes either of us feel any better, but Muggle and I didn't get a single Q this weekend, either...only cues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol....yes, Muggle and J-Dawg are pretty darn cute!! Thank goodness:-)

    ReplyDelete